When you’re feeling at a low ebb, laughing might seem the last thing you want to do. Its an interesting thing though that your body can’t tell the difference between fake and real laughter. Laughing, and even smiling, releases ‘feel good’ hormones in your body and has a whole lot of other health benefits too. Pretend to laugh for a while and you’re soon chuckling for real.
Laughter brings numerous social, emotional and physical benefits.
Scientific studies suggest that a ten minute full-blown belly-laugh is enough to bring all the attendant health benefits into your life. Laughter:
- Improves brain function (increased oxygen throughout the body)
- Reduces pain (increase in natural pain killers: endorphins)
- Reduces stress (decrease in hormones cortisol and adrenaline)
- Alleviates depression (increase in beta-endorphins)
- Lowers blood pressure (tests show that during the session blood
pressure increases. Afterwards, it drops below its starting level)
- Boosts the immune system (increase in human growth hormone
which aids sleep and cellular repair)
- Increases positivity and mental wellbeing
- Increases emotional wellbeing and social connectivity
Laughter yoga sessions give a safe, nurturing and hilarious environment in which a laughter specialist facilitates people to enjoy a minimum of ten minutes full-blown laughter, followed by guided relaxation.
Laughter yoga is a great leveller and is suitable for all ages and abilities.
I’m proud to have trained with Charlotte Eaton of http://www.lifebulb.org/. Her extensive and advanced Laughter Yoga training includes practical sessions working with voluntary organisations in the community.
Recent comments following our Laughter Yoga sessions:
“Was amazing. I was so stressed and anxious when I came in, I felt low, but after this I am light and relaxed.” Cathy
“Surprisingly enjoyable and brilliant way to boost your mood!” – Ruth C.
“The service users said they still felt uplifted and were laughing days after the session, and so were we!” – Telford MIND.
We provide Laughter Yoga sessions in a 15 mile radius of Jackfield, Shropshire (and occasionally further) for groups of 5 to 105!
Contact me if you’d like to arrange a laughter Yoga session for your group. Tel: 078682406